Tags: personal blog
Written by: Bill Hartzer
As Seen On:
Mountain Eagle Web
Online Marketing Help
Search Engine Marketing Companies
Search Engine Optimization
Search Marketing Consultants
Website Marketing Blog
Joomla! Surpasses 15 Million Downloads
Open Source Matters, Inc. (OSM), the not-for-profit organization that supports the Joomla! Project, today announced that Joomla!, the industry’s leading open source content management system (CMS), has been downloaded more than 15 million times from JoomlaCode. In addition, the Community Oversight Committee has elected several new board members including Steve Burge, Javier Gomez, Marko Milenovic, Jacques Rentzke, Robert Deutz and Akarawuth Tamrareang.
“February has been an exciting month for OSM and the Joomla! Project. First, the organization strengthened its board by electing several new members, and second, Jooomla! reached 15 million downloads,” said Elin Waring, President of Open Source Maters, part of the Joomla! Project. “Back in June 2009, Joomla! reached 10 million downloads, so to hit the 15 million mark is quite an achievement and shows an accelerated download pace over the past 8 months. The application has been averaging 20,000 downloads a day for the past 250 days.”
Joomla! is a free, award-winning PHP-based content management system that enables users to build Web sites and powerful online applications. The platform’s ease-of-use and extensibility has made it the most popular and downloaded open source Web site software in the industry today. Joomla! is used for everything from small personal Web sites to the backend management for some of the largest enterprises and highest traffic sites on the Web. Other notable JoomlaCode downloads surrounding the Joomla! Project include JEvents (1.8 million downloads), Joomla! Spanish (1.6 million downloads), DOCman (1.5 million downloads), and Joom!Fish (1 million downloads).
“Being elected to the OSM board and helping to shape the future of an open source application that I cherish so much is a great honor,” said Steve Burge, new OSM Board Member and CEO/Founder of Open Source Training. “The new members come from every corner of the globe including Spain, Serbia, South Africa, Germany and Thailand, and our unique skill sets should help ensure a bright future for OSM and the Joomla! Project. In 2010 we look forward to helping the community tackle some major agenda items, such as a new release of Joomla! and a thriving third-party developer community.”
Newly Elected Board Summary:
– Steve Burge – Burge is the CEO and founder of Open Source Training. In 2005, he founded Alledia.com, which grew into a leading provider of services for Joomla. Burge is an active member of the CMS community, an editor at the Joomla Extensions Directory, helped found the Drupal Atlanta User Group, and now runs the Atlanta Joomla User Group.
– Javier Gomez – Gomez resides in Barcelona, Spain and works in the Golferichs Civic Center. He has been very involved in the Spanish speaking Joomla! community. In 2007, Gomez organized the first national Joomla! meeting in Barcelona and has participated in the organization of other events in different cities around the world.
– Marko Milenovic – Milenovic works as a security consultant for a US-based company in Belgrade, Serbia. He has been a core team member of the Free Software Foundation Europe and the Freedom Task Force for three years. Milenovic is also a BSD advocate and coordinator of the Serbia BSD user group.
– Jacques Rentzke – Rentzke resides in Cape Town, South Africa. He is the owner of New Web Consulting, which focuses on building and supporting Web sites on the Joomla! CMS. He recently became involved in a new section of the Joomla! forum called Trending Topics, where debate on current topics is encouraged.
– Robert Deutz – Deutz is a consultant in Aachen, Germany and founded his own company, Robert Deutz Business Solution, in 2002. In 2005, he published a book about CMS Mambo. Since then, Deutz has created many extension for Joomla!, and is one of the creators of the Beez template.
– Akarawuth Tamrareang – Tamrareang is President of Mavelic Engine Co., Ltd. and President of Open Source Education and Development Association. He is a member of the Joomla! Bug Squad, has served as a mentor for the Google Summer of Code™ and the Thai Translation Team, and has organized Joomla! Days and other Joomla! events.
About Open Source Matters, Inc. and the Joomla! Project
Open Source Matters, Inc. (OSM) is a not-for-profit organization that helps to manage and support the Joomla! Project. Joomla! is the industry’s leading open source content management system (CMS). For more information visit www.OpenSourceMatters.org or www.joomla.org.