By now, I’m sure you’ve heard of the new augmented reality app called Pokémon Go. If you haven’t, then you’re probably living under a rock. Anyhow, if you truly haven’t heard about it, Pokémon Go is a new mobile phone app that’s taking the nation by storm. Once installed, it’s a game that combines the “real world”, and allows players to play a virtual scavenger hunt of sorts, trying to catch animated characters. These animated characters appear in real locations, such as in a park, inside your home, or even inside a local business. If you have a retail location, you can take advantage of the Pokémon Go phenomenon, and entice customers to visit your location. This will increase foot traffic and sales.
The concept is pretty simple:
– Download the app, look at the app’s map, and see if there are any characters near your location.
– There are locations called “Pokéstops”, and “Gyms”.
– There’s a good chance that your business may already be designated as a Pokéstop (determined by the app developer’s algorithm). If it is, then you’ll be able to purchase “lure modules”, which will lure players to your business.
– Lure Modules typically cost about $1.19 an hour, and you can get up to about 84 hours for $100.
– Use social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to tell your customers about Pokémon Go.
– Players will see your Pokéstop on their map as they play the game.
So many articles have been written about Pokémon Go and how other local businesses are taking advantage of the app that rather than go into more details about Pokémon Go, it’s best that I point you to some of the better articles:
6 Ways To Use Pokémon Go In Your Local Marketing Campaign
Pokémon Go Is Inspiring Small Retailers. So Has Augmented Reality Gone Mainstream? Driving foot traffic via gamification
Pokémon Go is driving insane amounts of sales a small local businesses. Here’s how it works.
Pokémon Go is actually helping small businesses
How ‘Pokémon GO’ Can Lure More Customers To Your Local Business
Here’s another great article that mentions a few more ideas:
6 Ways Local Businesses Can Score Big with Pokémon Go
What I’ve learned recently is that Pokémon Go creators are working on additional ways that local businesses can take advantage of the game, maybe even adding a small business “store” of sorts and other options to appeal to players. This may take some time, but as I hear more I’m sure I’ll post more about these opportunities.