Tags: Hot Search Terms
Written by: Bill Hartzer
As Seen On:
Mountain Eagle Web
Online Marketing Help
Search Engine Marketing Companies
Search Engine Optimization
Search Marketing Consultants
Website Marketing Blog
We Searched for the iPhone 7 Million Times During April 2008
According to comScore, the company that measures searches on the web, we searched seven million times for the Apple iPhone during the month of April, 2008. They also are reporting that Google delivered a disproportionate number of iPhone-related clicks.
comScore, Inc. (NASDAQ:SCOR) has released a study on “iPhone”-related keyword search phrases . The data is based on information from their comScore Marketer service. The data shows that that 1.3 million people conducted 6.9 million searches for iPhone-related terms in April 2008.
Typically, we have searched on sorts of Apple iPhone-related topics, but the most common keyword search phrase is strictly the keyword “iPhone”. That one keyword generated almost 1.5 million searches. According to comScore, other keyword search phrases ranking high on the list were several keyword phrases related to the upcoming “next generation” iPhone, which includes “iPhone update” (151,000), “iPhone 2.0″ (75,000) and “iPhone 3G” (60,000).
What I find interesting is that the phrase “iPhone Speakers” is showing up as a top keyword search phrase.
For those interested, here are the exact numbers that have been released:
Top "iPhone"-Related Search Terms April 2008 Total U.S. -- Home/Work/University Locations Source: comScore Marketer Search Term Searches (000) IPHONE 1,488 IPHONE UPDATE 151 IPHONE WEB APPS 118 IPHONE MMS 101 IPHONE 2.0 75 IPHONE 3G 60 IPHONE 2 59 IPHONE G3 43 IPHONES 38 IPHONE SPEAKERS 35
Of the iPhone-related keyword search phrases that generated click-thrus, the vast majority (88.4 percent) occurred on Google, which is actually 33 percent higher than comScore expected given Google’s market share of total Internet search click-thrus. What’s interesting to note is that all other search engines actually generated a lower percentage of iPhone-related clicks than their respective market shares of total search clicks.
Share of Search Clicks for "iPhone"-Related Search Terms April 2008 Total U.S. -- Home/Work/University Locations Source: comScore Marketer Percent of Search Percent of Total Search Engine Clicks for Term Search Clicks Index Google 88.4% 66.5% 133 Yahoo 7.2% 20.0% 36 MSN-Windows Live 2.7% 6.9% 39 AOL 1.2% 3.8% 32 Ask.com 0.6% 2.9% 19 *Index = Percent of Search Clicks for Term/Percent of Total Search Clicks x 100; Index of 100 represents parity
comScore said today, “Not surprisingly, the top destination for iPhone-related searches was Apple Inc., which attracted 17.5 percent of all search click-thrus. Of those click-thrus to Apple Inc., 16.5 percent were the result of paid search and the remaining 83.5 percent were from organic search results. Google Sites, which host significant iPhone-related content on YouTube and Blogger sites, ranked second with 8.8 percent of iPhone-related click-thrus, nearly all of which came from organic search results. NetShelter Technology Media, which owns several Apple and iPhone-specific content sites, ranked third with 8.4 percent.”
ComScore went on to say that “among the top ten destinations, AT&T, Inc. — the lone cell phone carrier for iPhones in the U.S. — had the highest proportion of their search clicks coming from paid links (42.8 percent). Several of the top ten sites had no paid search strategy, but still managed to generate a substantial share of total clicks through organic results.”
Paid vs. Organic Click-Thrus for "iPhone"-Related Search Destination Properties April 2008 Total U.S. -- Home/Work/University Locations Source: comScore Marketer Percent of Total Percent of Click-Thrus to Destination Property iPhone-Related Destination Property Click-Thrus Paid Organic Total Clicks 8.77 MM 0.61 MM 8.16 MM Apple Inc. 17.5% 16.5% 83.5% Google Sites 8.8% 0.7% 99.3% NetShelter Technology Media 8.4% 0.0% 100.0% AOL LLC 6.5% 0.0% 100.0% Gawker Media 5.1% 0.0% 100.0% CNET Networks 3.7% 0.0% 100.0% AT&T, Inc. 3.3% 42.8% 57.2% International Data Group 3.1% 0.0% 100.0% Yahoo! Sites 2.7% 1.3% 98.7% ILOUNGE.COM 1.8% 0.0% 100.0%